Today I am turning my MumFash Blogger attention to that much maligned piece of clothing, the jegging.
Jeggings sometimes get a bad rap. It seems there’s a whole demographic out there yet to discover the joy that is the skinny jegging. I didn’t know this. I thought EVERYONE was on board with the skinny jegging. My own discovery of jeggings was entirely revolutionary. The excitement that I felt when I realised that even though I am generous of thigh and buttock, I too could rock a jegging, was quite profound. It jazzed up my winter wardrobe no end. The colour choices. The comfort. The stretchiness.
The comfort is second to none.
Here I am taking my jeggings out for a spin.
Jeggings are basically skinny jeans with a crap tonne of stretchiness involved. So, half jeans, half leggings, thus, jeggings. They provide the comfort of a pair of leggings, but they still look like jeans. That means they actually count as pants and don’t flout the “Leggings are not pants” rule that gets bandied about in the mainstream media. What more could anyone ask for?
Because I am positively evangelical about jeggings I thought I would enlighten everyone as to how they should be worn. Think of this as a community service I am providing here.
I should pause and note that my only real rule regarding fashion is there are no rules. I do not subscribe to the popular idioms thrown around telling you what to wear, or what not to wear. If you want to wear a ballgown down to the laundromat to wash your doona cover? Why not? Who am I to stop you? Do you feel like you’re too fat/skinny/old/young to wear [insert item of clothing you covet here]? You aren’t. Just wear it. Life’s too short to worry, people.
Anyway, that being said, I still thought it useful to provide some optional tips on how to wear a pair of jeggings, with a couple of “what not to do” suggestions thrown in for good measure, just for the unbelievers out there. Remember, if you want to wear jeggings as gloves, as a hat, or if you want to cut the arse out of them and draw a face on your bum cheeks – feel free. I’m not judging you.
HOW TO WEAR JEGGINGS:
1. The main criticism I hear from the punters regarding jeggings is – and this is a little delicate, reader – the “camel toe”. That is to say, the tightness of the jegging gives your friends and relations a little too much vagina visual. This, some people allege, looks like a “camel toe”. There’s a pretty basic solution to this problem: WEAR A BIG OLE LOOSE SHIRT TUNIC THING OVER THE JEGGINGS. Instantly slimming, trendy and downright spunky. And no (ahem) “camel toe” to be seen!
That’s my one suggestion for how to wear jeggings. Next I outline some tips on how NOT to wear jeggings.
HOW NOT TO WEAR JEGGINGS
1. Do not wear jeggings as swimwear.
2. Do not wear jeggings on really, really hot days because SWEATY.
3. Do not wear jeggings if you don’t like jeggings.
4. Do not wear jeggings if you are allergic to pants or have a phobia of covering your legs in fabric.
5. Do not wear jeggings to work if you are a construction worker, judge, or member of the armed forces because DRESS CODE.
6. Do not wear jeggings with a crop top. Or do, if you want to.
7. Do not wear jeggings near an open flame because FIRE.
8. Do not put jeggings on your family pets because they won’t like it. Trust me.
9. Don’t put your jeggings in the dryer because SHRINKAGE.
That’s about it. Feel free to ignore every single one of those tips if you wish. If you embrace the jeggings with your whole heart, let me know. If you don’t, I’m down with that too. Do what you feel, fashion-wise, above all have fun and remember – give jeggings a chance! Won’t you give them a chance?